Rhymes with Quirky…
And other answers to some of the FAQs people really ask me...
1. You have an unusual last name. How is it pronounced?
My surname is a present from my husband. It rhymes with quirky, which seems apt.
2. Have you always been an artist?
Yes. Art-making has always part of my daily life, though professionally I first focused on writing, publishing and teaching.
In 2003, I formed an indy design biz called Hit Those Keys. After around ten years of producing award-winning websites for fellow artists and writers, I turned to painting. I've been selling originals and also prints and cards of my work in my Etsy shop since 2011.
3. Where did you grow up? What kind of kid were you?
I grew up in Princeton, NJ, under the dual influences of a writer-editor and an artist-architect. As a child, I was shy and happiest to be on my own and use my imagination. My favorite places to go were the pet store, the art-and-stationery supply store, and the public library.
4. Where do you live now? Do you have children?
We have two adored adult children. These days, my husband and I live in the same house that my father designed and constructed while I was a child. (One of my favorite memories from the time when the house was being built is of me holding up a wall while Dad ran to grab another tool.)
5. What are some of your favorite things?
I’m still very fond of animals, art supplies, and books. Every day when I get to read something, write something and make something, I feel lucky.
6. And a question nobody asks but I'd like to answer: What would you like to be doing professionally that you aren't already doing?
I would especially love to write and illustrate children's books, and it would be a thrill to see my art used on interesting products. Let's talk art!